Pulses are very rich in protein, high in dietary fiber and loaded with complex carbs. This is a really good source of protein for vegetarians. However, we will add rice as an additional ingredient along with pulses to make it a complete meal recipe.
Preparation time: 40 minutes
Kitchen Gadget: None
Difficulty level: 4/10
- 1.5 cup rice
- 1.5 cup pulses of your choice
- 2 tsp green chilies paste
- 1 tomato cut into small cubes.
- 3 dry red chilli
- 3 cloves
- Salt per taste
- 2.5 tsp lemon juice
- 4 tsp oil
- 1 tsp curry leaves
- 1/4 cup cilantro
Cucumber yogurt Dip (Raita)
- 1 cup small cubes of peeled cucumber.
- 1.5 cup plain fat-free yogurt
- 1/2 tsp green chili paste
- salt per taste
- 1 tsp cumin seeds (roasted and powdered)
1. Soak rice and pulses in separate bowls for 1 hour.
2. In a pan, heat oil.
3. Drain Rice and Pulses.
4. Add Green and Red chillies, cloves and curry leaves in oil.
5. Saute for 1 minute and add drained rice and pulses.
6. Stir it for 2-3 minutes and add 6 cups of water.
7. Add salt, and let it boil for 5 minutes.
8. Add lemon juice and tomatoes.
9. Cover and let it simmer for another 5 minutes or until rice and pulses are completely cooked and soft and the water has been completely evaporated.
10. Add some water if rice and pulses is still not cooked.
11. Turn off the stove, serve steaming garnished with cilantro.
12. Add all the ingredients for cucumber dip in a bowl and mix well. You dip is ready.
13. You can serve with Cucumber and Yogurt dip.
- You can use Brown rice instead of white. Also pulses can be of your choice. Instead of pulses you can add black or red beans.