Pretzels originated in Europe is a type of baked bread product made from dough most commonly shaped into a twisted knot. Once in a while it is ok to indulge and Pretzel is one of my favorite comfort food. Pretzels can be hard or soft. The recipe I will share here is for soft Pretzels.
Preparation time: 90 minutes
Kitchen instrument: Oven
Difficulty level: 5/10
- 2 tsp Yeast
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 tsp coarse sea salt
- 1 cup warm milk
- 3 cups all-purpose flour/Maida
- 3 tsp melted butter (you can substitute with oil)
- 3 cups hot water
- 1/2 cup baking soda
1. Dissolve yeast in bowl of warm milk and let it stand for 10 minutes.
2. Now in a bowl add flour salt and sugar.
3. Slowly add yeast mixture and mix well to form sticky dough.
4. You can add more flour if the dough is too liquidly or add couple spoons of milk if dough is dry.
5. Knead dough until it is smooth.
6. Grease a large bowl and place the dough in it.
7. Cover and let it stand for an hour in a warm place. This will allow the dough to rise.
8. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
9. Grease baking tray.
10. Now add baking soda to 3 cups of hot water in a large bowl.
11. Now make 6 equal pieces from the dough. Roll each one to form a rope. Pick up the edges and twist into the shape of pretzel. Now dip the pretzel in to the baking soda water mixture and place into baking sheets.
12. Now sprinkle sea salt or the toppings per your choice.
13. I love jalapeno and cheese. You can also make cinnamon and sugar pretzels.
14. Now bake them until they turn golden in color. Approximately 8 to 10 minutes.
15. Serve them with cheese dip or salsa or mustard.
- To make them a healthy breakfast, you can use multigrain flour instead of all purpose. You can also use oat. You can make it as per your taste and add the toppings per your choice. You can just shape as cubes and make pretzels bites. Add cheese and salsa to pretzel bite to make cool Pretzel salad.