Biryani, is a mixed rice dish from the Indian subcontinent. It is made with spices, rice and meat or vegetables. We are going to use traditional method of cooking biryani with use of some modern kitchen gadgets. It goes without saying that we will use lots of vegetables.
Preparation time: 60 minutes
Kitchen instrument: Oven
Difficulty level: 5/10
- 2 cups of rice
- 1 small bell pepper cut into small cubes
- 1 large plantain cut into large cubes
- 2 -3 carrots cut into small cubes
- 2 cups cut cauliflower florets
- 1 cup French beans cut small
- 1 cup green peas
- 6 cloves
- 6 cardamom
- 2 tej pata
- 1 tsp cinnamon sticks
- 1/2 cup cashew
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/2 tsp saffron
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1/2 cup cilantro
- 1/2 cup mint leaves
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 4 tsp oil
1. In a large pan boil some water.
2. Add rice and cook until they are 3/4th cooked. Do not overcook. There will be step later which will require more cooking of the rice.
3. Add 1 tsp oil when rice is cooking along with cashews, raisins 2 cloves , 1 tej patta
4. Drain rice and let it cool down.
5. In a pressure cooker(You can use just pan) heat 3 tsp oil
6. Add rest of the cloves, tej patta, cinnamon sticks, cardamom.
7. Add vegetables and spices and stir well.
8. Now add yogurt and I cup water.
9. Cover and cook it until vegetables are cooked and tender. Also, it should have some thick gravy.
10. You can just cook in a pan by covering or use pressure cooker.
11. Soak saffron in warm milk.
12. Now in a baking bowl, make one layer of 1/2 of the cooked rice. Now sprinkle half milk with saffron.
13. Make layer of the vegetable and gravy.
14. Finally make final layer of rest of the rice and sprinkle rest of the saffron milk.
15. Cover with foil.
16. Now bake covered casserole for 10 to 15 minutes in oven preheat at 350 degree F.
17. Serve hot with garnish of cilantro and mint leaves.
- Do not overcook the rice when you boil it. Some of the cooking process will happen when you put it in oven. While preparing vegetable curry, you can add paneer. Also you can make multiple layers depending on the quantity you want to use.