Tofu also called Bean curd is almost sister like to Paneer. Except for Tofu is made up of soya milk compared to Paneer made from cow milk. The texture and the look more or less remains the same. It is really high in iron and protein and exceptionally low calorie wise. The recipe will include sesame seeds which goes really well with Tofu. To add some greens we will use broccoli and Water chestnuts for the crunch. Let us get started with this Asian dish.
- 500 gm tofu
- 500 gm broccoli
- 1/2 cup sesame seeds
- 1 cup water chest nuts cut into squares (canned or fresh)
- 2 spoon soy sauce
- 2 tsp chilli sauce
- 2 tsp brown sugar
- 4 tsp olive oil
- Salt to taste
- Place tofu slab on cutting board, cover it with a plastic wrap and put some weight on it for 15 minutes.
- This will drain all the excess water out of it and it will be ready to use.
- Now cut into little squares and add to a bowl.
- Sprinkle pinch of salt and toss it gently.
- In a separate bowl take sesame seeds.
- Heat the griddle with a spoon of olive oil in it.
- Dip each tofu squares in sesame seed and press it so that it is covered with sesame from both sides.
- Place tofu squares on hot griddle and grill them on both sides until golden and crisp. Sprinkle another spoon of oil when you turn the sides.
- In a Pan boil 5 cups of water with sold in it.
- Add nicely cut broccoli florets into the pan and let it boil for another 7-8 minutes until broccoli is little tender. Make sure it does not lose the colour.
- Drain broccoli so that no water is left.
- In a shallow pan, heat 2 tsp oil and add sugar, chilli sauce and mix well.
- When you see sugar melting, add soy sauce and mix well.
- Now add broccoli and chest nut and about 1/4 cup of water mix it all well and let it saute for another couple minutes. If the texture is too runny, add a spoon of corn flour and mix well to have thick gravy.
- In a serving plate make a little pile of tofu and slowly flow in broccoli mixture and allow some of the juice to get down while some to be coated on tofu.
- It’s ready to serve.
- If tofu is not available, you can substitute it with paneer. However it will taste different.
- Instead of grilling tofu on griddle, you can also bake in oven for 5-7 minutes with preheating of 375 degree F.
- Also, if you are allergic to sesame seeds, you can choose to completely avoid using it and recipe will turn out to be just fine.
- To add a little kick to it, add more of chilli sauce or chilli flakes.