Thai food is famous for use of coconut milk and fresh herbs. Coconut milk or 'ga-ti' is traditionally made by mixing the grated meat of a ripe coconut with warm water and then squeezing out the juice. You can go to a market in Thailand and buy fresh squeezed coconut milk. However we are going to use canned coconut milk to make our Thai soup using some fresh herbs like lemon grass, brown rice and vegetables.
- 2 Cups of Coconut milk
- 1/4 cup brown rice uncooked
- 1 cup broccoli florets
- 1 cup carrots slices
- 1/2 cup cilantro
- 1/2 tsp lemon grass
- 1/2 cup spring onions (Optional)
- 2 green chilies sliced
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 2 minced garlic (Optional)
- 1 tsp olive oil
- Salt to taste
1. Soak rice in water for couple hours
2. In a deep pan heat oil and add all vegetables except cilantro and lemon grass.
3. Stir fry for 2 minutes and add lemon grass, salt, soaked rice and 2 cups of water.
4. Let it simmer for 5 minutes.
5. Add coconut milk and let it simmer for 10 minutes.
6. Add soy sauce and stir it for another 3-4 minutes
7. Garnish with cilantro and Soup is ready to be served.
- Instead of Rice, you can use rice noodles