Calzone is an Italian Over-baked folded Pizza. Normally the stuffing is the typical pizza toppings with cheese of your choices. However, regional variations are made once the dish has travelled across borders. My favorite filling is Chickpeas and veggies with minimum use of cheese. This not only cuts down the calories but also make it little interesting.
Preparation time: 60 minutes
Kitchen instrument: Oven
Difficulty level: 5/10
- 1 cup chick peas
- 1.5 spoon dry yeast
- 2 cups of all purpose flour.
- 1 tsp chilli flakes
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning.
- 1 cup warm milk
- 1/2 cup chopped bell pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 cup chilli sauce
- 2 tsp oil
- ½ cup cheese.
- Salt per taste
1. Soak chickpeas for 2-3 hours.
2. Add salt and Boil them until tender and you can see the split.
3. Dissolve yeast in a bowl of warm milk
4. Add flour, salt, chili flakes and seasoning in a large mixing bowl.
5. Add dissolved yeast and milk mixture to knead a sticky dough.
6. Cover and let it stand for 1.5 hours.
7. Now in a pan, heat oil and add vegetables to sizzle.
8. Sprinkle pinch of salt and Add 4 tsp of chilli sauce and mix well.
9. Now add chickpeas and sauté it for 2 minutes.
10. Cover and simmer for 2 more minutes.
11. Your filling is ready.
12. Now you can use store bought pizza sauce or make your own to spread on the inner side of calzone.
13. My recipe is to add 3 tsp ketchup and 5 tsp chili sauce in a mixing bowl. Add some chilli flakes and seasoning. Mix well and freeze for 30 minutes.
14. Your pizza sauce is ready.
15. Now knead the dough that you kept aside to rise.
16. Make four parts of it.
17. Roll each part into flat rounds.
18. Spread pizza sauce and add filling on half side.
19. Sprinkle some cheese.
20. Now fold other side on the top and press the borders hard with thumb to seal the calzone.
21. Grease both sides with butter.
22. Preheat oven to 375 degree F.
23. Grease a pizza tray and place calzones to bake it for 15 to 18 minutes or until golden on both sides.
24. Serve hot with ketchup on side.
- You can make fillings of your choice. Another interest filling is Cottage cheese with seasoning, olives and pickled jalapenos. You can also add just sauté vegetables with feta cheese or hummus.