Yes! Patra for Breakfast, it so yummy. Patra is famous Gujarati dish. However I make my own version which is much healthier and instead of side for lunch, I use it for breakfast. Best part is it doesn’t require oil. Also, you can avoid use of cheese. I add it to get that extra protein and calcium in breakfast. The best part is that it is easy to prepare and serve later.
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Kitchen instrument: Steamer
Difficulty level: 3/10
- 2 plantains
- 6 to 8 Colocasia leaves (Patra)
- 1 cup chick pea flour
- 1/2 cup raw mango shred
- 2 tsp sugar
- salt per taste
- 2 tsp green chillies
- 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
- 1/2 cup cheese shred
1. Boil Plantain till it is soft.
2. Mash it in a mixing bowl.
3. Add all the ingredients except cheese and add water to form loose paste.
4. Mix well.
5. Take Colocasia leaves and remove unnecessary thick stems from the leaf.
6. Spread thin layer of plantain stuffing on the leaf.
7. Sprinkle cheese.
8. Put another leaf on the top of the stuffed and repeat the process.
9. If the leaves are too big stop at two layers or you can continue to 3 layers.
10. Now make a tight roll of the layers.
11. Put the rolls on steamer to cook for at least 15 minutes.
12. Do the knife test. If it comes out clean, it is cooked.
13. Now the rolls can be sliced and served with homemade sauce.
14. Normally I add mayonnaise and Honey mustard with some chilli flakes to make my own dressing.
- To make it typically Gujarati version, you can always add tadka which is stir fry the baked slices in oil with Sesame seeds, cumin seeds and asafoetida. Use of baking is not at all required and avoid using it.