No it is not Rasgulla even if it may look like. Tang Yuan is a Chinese dessert made out of rice flour. It’s Gluten free and can be made with sesame filling or without filling. It is really different than any of the Indian or American dessert we could have tasted. It is difficult to develop the taste but believe me; you have to try it once.
Preparation time: 40 minutes
Kitchen instrument: None
Difficulty level: 6/10
- 1.5 cups rice flour
- 5-6 tsp oil
- 1 cup sugar
- 6 -7 cloves
- 3-4 pieces of cinnamon stick
- 2 tsp slices of ginger (optional)
- 1/2 cup of crushed sesame seeds (white and black mix)
- 2 tsp sugar
- 2 tsp crushed walnuts and almonds
1. In a large mixing bowl, add rice flour 1/2 cup sugar and 2 tsp oil.
2. Now knead dough while adding water as per need.
3. Dough should not be crumbly. It can be sticky.
4. Now you can rub oil in your hands to knead dough soft.
5. Now make parts of the dough to add colors.
6. Add food colour of your choice and make small balls from the dough.
7. If you want the balls with fillings roast all the ingredients together for 5 minutes and the filling is ready.
8. Now you can roll flat small balls in hand and add filling and roll back to form balls.
9. In a pan add 2-3 cups of water enough to merge all the balls.
10. Put that pan on the stove and add cloves, cinnamon, ginger and 1/2 cup of sugar.
11. Boil and then cover and let it simmer.
12. Now in another pan, boil water and add the balls of different colour to cook.
13. The balls are cooked once they float.
14. Now transfer them to bowl full of water at room temperature.
15. While serving, add balls to a bowl and top it with sugar syrup that we prepared earlier.
16. Tang Yuan is ready to serve.
- As I mentioned earlier filling is optional but you can add fillings of your choice. Make sure the balls are small and cook it until it floats.