This is an Indian dessert with unique texture. It is a mixture of caramelized sugar and cheese from the milk. I added the crunchy spoons to go with it. The aroma of rose is so distinct to get unnoticed. It is perfect to serve during festivals and family gatherings.
Preparation time: 60 minutes
Kitchen instrument: Nothing
Difficulty level: 5/10
- 2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup Soji/Rava (semolina)
- 500 ml full fat milk
- Pinch of cardamom powder
- 2 tsp rose flavour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1.25 cup All-purpose flour.
- 2 tsp Sliced almonds
- 1 cup butter/Ghee
1. In a small pan dissolve 1/2 cup sugar in 5 tsp warm water.
2. In a large pan add flour, ½ cup butter, and salt and dissolved sugar liquid to form dough.
3. Form dry and tight dough, cover and let is set for 10 minutes.
4. In a large pan heat 1/2 cup butter.
5. Roast Semolina for 5 minutes.
6. Add milk and keep stirring.
7. Water should soon separate from the milk cheese.
8. In a separate hard based pan heat 1.5 cup sugar.
9. Keep stirring until every single crystal is melted.
10. Once melted, add immediately to the milk liquid.
11. Now keep stirring until the mixture is thick like paste and water is completely evaporated.
12. It will take almost 15 to 20 minutes. You should see the ghee getting separated.
13. Add cardamom powder and rose flavour.
14. Stir it for a minute.
15. Now turn off the heat and let it cool down to form shapes. Your dessert is ready.
16. Form small rounds out of the dough and roll into small tortilla like round shape.
17. Now pinch the two sides to form spoon like shape.
18. Fry them until crisp.
19. You can serve the dessert by itself or with crisp spoons.
20. Garnish with almonds.
- You can add 2 tsp semolina to flour as well. Also you can add the flavour of your choice to this dessert. Another famous flavour to use will be saffron. The making requires enough attention and to keep stirring is really important.